Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year Reflection Part 1: Big Egos and distractions

It occurred to me today as I read a chapter of history from a textbook, that something is different on me when it comes to school.
And as I had this thought, I was suddenly brought back to middle school days. Days where I was notorious for good grades. And I asked myself, what's different mow?
Obviously, the work load is more, and the work is harder, but I was thinking about what was different with me.
And then I realized:
I have a bigger ego. Not just about writing, but about school. It used to be that I put in 150% effort in everything that I did, just because I felt I had to.
Now don't get me wrong. My new confidence has helped me realize that I love not fitting in, helped me determine who my friends are, and what my passion is, but it's also made me lazy.
And I think everyone can agree with that at some point in their lives.
But why? It isn't because I'm unaware of the time until graduation, or the level of difficulty of school.
And then, I realized, it's the distractions. The distractions of high school, love, friends, finding myself, and everything else that's happening in my life.
So no, I don't regret having a bigger ego, because I love knowing I have the potential to do anything and everything, but this year I need to figure out how to balance my outside world with what seems to be my entire life: school.
And if that means that I have to put in 150% effort into everything I do to get into the University of Rochester, that's how it has to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment