Monday, March 14, 2011

Can I get some Hindsight, Please?

Apparently while I was at home sick today, there was an incident in which people were suspended for vandalism. When I was informed that it was vandalism I expected the worst: graffiti on the building, writing in the bathroom stalls. So of course I was surprised when the vandalism was actually students carving into wet cement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the sidewalk was property of the city, not UCHS.

Why are they being punished so severely then?

I understand that they shouldn't have done it. The real question is, should they have to miss three days of school to learn that?
Isn't that a tad excessive?

I was also informed of the fact that for one student, there was no proof that they were a part of the wet cement carving. Regardless, they were reprimanded as well. They were sentenced to three days of suspension.
For a person who merely hears about it, it feels like that; a sentencing. We see it as extreme and not understandable.
So for this post, I would love for the the teachers who read this to share their position on this issue. Do you think the punishment given was just? Is there something that I don't know about the incident that would justify the circumstances? Maybe if your opinions are disclosed, we would further understand the thinking behind the punishment. Because to be perfectly honest, these instances that we can't wrap our heads around are part of the reason why people decide to transfer schools. And even if this issue isn't that important for some of you, the fear of more people leaving us definitely is.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment