Friday, May 31, 2013

Answer Me This

I am on the verge of embarking on another part of my life, as all of the seniors are, where we will be leaving UCHS. But the fact is, this school will always he a part of who we are, to the point where it's almost our responsibility to come back.

And it is our responsibility.
But not because we're asked to.
It's because we will be the first and most likely the only exposure students will have to the reality of college, and that is a problem. I've said this before. College to the students at UCHS  is an illusion, not real, and used as a tool of manipulation by teachers, but never fully explained.
It's because this idea of holding the hands of students and throwing them into situations isn't working.

Answer me this, how is getting students accostomed to remastery preparing them for college? For a place where knowledge is power, not a higher grade? We as are not faces of a cooperation, but students to a school, a school that seems to also serve as a  business institution instead of the sanctuary of  enlightenment it should be.

There's a difference between school and education.

And now that I'm asking questions, there's a few more that I have.

If the school is intent towards creating a better dynamic for students, why are professional development days made up of teachers and not the students who make the school? What change is going to be made if teachers sit amongst themselves and praise the policies they make without thinking of the students  they affect?

Why are well respected and evidently capable individuals given permanent substitute positions instead of the teaching and leadership jobs they deserve?

Why isn't our school finding any minority teachers who are "of quality?" What are you using a rubric that they don't score high enough on? What "of quality?"

Why is it that I was asked to helped to write a part of a graduation speech specifically about my classmates, one I'm not going to be reading? What you don't know us well enough they I have to step in?

The fact is, I'm afraid to leave. Not in fear of the unknown and my future, but for the state of this school, because I refuse to see things change, but see no real change occur.

These are children's futures we're talking about here.

It took me four years for me ask these questions, and now that I've started, there's no way I'm going to stop.

So answer me this: which question is going to be answered first?

No comments:

Post a Comment