Friday, July 13, 2012

I'm Not a Bragger

I don't like to brag about myself.
It's weird right? I can hear myself in my head and can't help but  think, jeez shut up will you?  So I usually refrain from bragging, unless I have to.
And when do I have to?
When I'm writing a college essay.

If you didn't already know, writing a college essay means you basically have to sell yourself without making it obvious, in less than six hundred words, to someone who knows nothing about you but your name and and your GPA, which they got off of your transcript by the way. 
How can I tell you everything about myself in less than 500 words?
How can I tell you that my name is Michelle Elisabeth Soto, that I'm obsessed with Indie rock, that I want to move Chicago and own a studio apartment, that my favorite food is my mother's rice beans and chicken, that my new past time is spending hours making abstract paintings, that I narrate my life in my mind like a blog just like the main character of the show Awkward, that I'm a hopeless romantic and cry when I watch movies like The Notebook and The Time Traveler's Wife, that exposing every part of myself on stage is simultaneously  the most terrifying and most addictive thing I've ever done?
I mean, can't I just give them the link to this blog post?
That would be much easier than fitting 16 years of experiences, growth, and epiphanies onto one page of words.
Maybe I can use a smaller font than size twelve.



No comments:

Post a Comment