Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Enfin, je suis à la maison

I've always felt as though I was a outlier in this world of normalcy . 
No one to understand the reasoning for my actions or the development of my ways .




But yesterday , I found something . Something that practically changed my life for the better . 

I went to this program called Latino Youth in Action where they basically teach you about safe sex while also building beneficial relationships with future peers . Dedicated to teens , they provide counseling , HIV testing , food & much more for FREE . The program also is centered on gay rights and equality . It serves as a friendly environment for everyone and it's a really amazing way to meet amazing people . 

Continuing on , although I was nervous & hesitant to go , my eagerness to find a place for myself  took over my fears . Monday morning I woke up , dolled myself up , & met up with my friend Dashwan , the same person that introduced me to the program in the first place .

Once I was in the elevator to the building , my insides began to cave in . I found it unusual that I was so fearful of what was to come , yet so eager to get there . I walk through the doors & could feel the love in the air . The environment was like that of Heaven & the I could sense little angels nearby .

To my amusement , every teen guy I saw was feminine . They all had that spunky personality & walked as though they were modelling for a trade show . I found it hilarious , but also brave . I could never be so willing as they were ; not because I didn't want to , but because I felt like I couldn't .

After about three hours of getting to know everyone & sharing a couple of laughs , we traveled to a pier in Manhattan . This part is really hard to explain with words .

Everyone was either dancing , play fighting , or cursing someone out . It was some of the best moments in my life thus far & made me forget all negative thoughts , things , & people . While everyone was doing their own little thing , I went to the edge of the water , took out a penny , made a wish & threw it into the ocean .

It was the first instance of true happiness in my life . I didn't want to leave these group of people . Although I was extremely shy & barely knew everyone on a personal level , something about them made me feel safe .

Going home Monday evening definitely had me emotional . For ME , this was more then what It actually seemed . It was a part of my life that I didn't want gone , nor did I ever want to forget . I hope & pray that I make new friends at this program . It's the start of a new beginning that hopefully will never end .

Just think about it , how would you feel if you could be in a place where you could be yourself without judgement ? A place where everyone understood you because they all went through what you endured ?

I could now say that finally , I was home .


For more information on Latino Youth in Action , go on their website at http://lyia.hafnyc.org/  .


No comments:

Post a Comment