Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Change ...

I have the honor and privilege to continue the legacy that Michelle Soto has put before me . I wish her the best in college and the rest of her life . She will surely go on to greatness in the near future. Now , to introduce you all of who I may be , I will inform you some of the characteristics I attain .

My full name is Manuel Ivan Rodriguez , but I go by Manny . I'm currently 15 years of age and have just graduated my freshman year of high school . My goal in life is simple : to change the world . 

We're often faced with the inevitable obstacles that the cycle of life is bound to bring to us . I have unfortunately been a victim of the ignorance of many individuals . Time after time have I been verbally , mentally , and emotionally abused just because I'm gay .

Believe me when I say that I'm fully aware of what high school brings to anyone's life . I know that it's that time where everyone's figuring themselves out , fitting in with the crowd , exchanging rude and mean comments to each other , etc . It's that time where teenagers become teenagers and we just naturally act out . However , never did I believe that it was ever okay . 

My dream is to one day , see a world where we really ARE all equal . Where we ALL have the same opportunities in life and aren't denied those opportunities for ANY reason . I'd also like to see a world where we aren't discriminated for those reasons . A world where society is accepting of  ideas and lifestyles that may be foreign to them in order to make the place we live a better place .

While this may seem virtually impossible , I'm fully devoted to it . Currently , I'm the only openly gay male in my high school . As challenging as it may sound , I honestly wouldn't want to change that for the world . I've grown to learn that different is good . With amazing teachers and students like Michelle , Uncommon Charter High School is one of the most accepting schools ever . 

In the one year that I've been in UCHS , I have made tremendous progress in life . I am a honor roll student , and have yet to build one bad relationship with my professors . I've received certificates and even a trophy to prove my integrity and dedication to my school ethic . I'm currently in the process of making a autobiography that I hope to one day publish . 

At home I am the older brother of three younger siblings . My little brother Ryan who is five , Jonathan who is three , and my sister who is one . I thank God for blessing me with such wonderful siblings . Having parents that did separate when I was only four , I have two amazing families that are both annoying and loving . I am a certified model and a devoted writer .

While I do want to express my life with you guys , I don't want to give off the impression that I'm some kind of perfect super human on a perfect road . In reality , I'm the farthest thing from it . For example , I care deeply about how other people perceive me . I don't have that " I don't care about what people think about me" kind of attitude . In my mindset , my entire vision relies on how others see me as . If people don't like me , how will my voice ever be heard  if they won't even bother to listen ? How can my dreams be achieved , if I have no one to support me ? 

In addition , the language in today's society , upsets me deeply . This idea of saying "nigga" to another African American makes me sick . Why do such a thing when it was used to degrade them ? I find it so sad and thoughtless that one would use such slang to call upon another man . Similarly , when someone says something like " No mon " , " Battymon "  , " That's so gay "or "fag" , it really bothers me . Because by saying those things , you're making it seem as if it's somehow bad to be gay . In my opinion , we've used such language for such a long time that it has made its way into our vocabulary and has become "normal" when in reality , it's wrong . Now one may not see these things as flaws , but another may see this as me being uptight or someone that takes life too seriously . I must admit , I do , as one would say , " play by the rules "  but it's only for the sake of having a good reputation while also living life to its full potential . 


At 15 years old , I've been told that I'm very mature and brave for my age . I've been told that I'm someone to revere and that I'm a exceptional leader . 


Ghandi once said " Be the change you wish to see in the world " and that's the motto I live up to . If I really want my dreams to come true , I will put my best foot forward to be that change to see them .

I'm exicted to share with you all my life , my thoughts , and my dreams . I hope that I really do impact peoples' lives and that you may see how dedicated I am to really making that change . I would also like any feedback and advice that you may have . At my age I'm still learning many things and for someone to contribute their thoughts would really be helpful . Thank you .

                                                                                                          Love , Manny ~

No comments:

Post a Comment