Monday, February 6, 2012

Making History

I only have fond memories of the Pass It On trip. It was arguably one of the best times of my life, where I was lucky enough to learn about history, life, about myself.
And looking back to those two weeks, watching not only twelve year old me but also some of the most important in my life on that screen this weekend brought me back, to how amazing and life changing that trip was. It still is.
Because it wasn't just a bunch of kids piling into a bus and driving all over the South. It was about what that trip meant, seeing history, with our eyes, not reading about it, talking to people who conducted miracles because they witnessed discrimination, and realizing that it's still there.
And it's our responsibility, as the next generation, as people of society, to make sure that those people who fought for blacks to be able to sit in the front of the bus, to be able to go to the same school as whites, aren't forgotten. But even though they made these grand strides in history that should be forever revered, there's still more to be done.
Watching that movie made me remember that, because sometimes you forget about the world around you, because you're too busy being consumed in your own life.

I'm in awe, at how remarkable we are, and were back then, so remarkable, that I can't help but be inspired by what occurred that summer.
And even though I can't go back and relive those days, I know that they'll always be in my memory, and that they helped make me who I am today.





1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is beautiful, Michelle! There are simply no words with which I can fully express my love of you, and the PIO family, how proud I am to know you, and how much I admire you. You hold endless possibility. You changed my life.

    ReplyDelete